If Governor Cuomo is reelected the framework is all ready in place for passage of SAFE ACT 2. While the Cuomo administration is hesitant to refer to it under that name during an election cycle, it will still be one of the first things he does upon his new term even if he has to manipulate the legislative process again in order to ram it through.
Here are the 10 key points of SAFE ACT 2 that will punish law abiding citizens, legal businesses and in general diminish the sparse amount of liberty that remains in the increasingly appropriate named “Empire State”. My commentary italicized.
1. Safe Storage – Requires that weapons be stored with a safety locking device or in a safe storage depository when left outside the immediate possession or control of the owner or other lawful possessor. Failure to do so will result in a Class A misdemeanor. This includes houses without children and as such only serves to delay the ability to defend yourself against home invaders.
2. Microstamping – Requires all semiautomatic pistols manufactured or delivered to any licensed dealer in NYS to be capable of producing a unique alpha-numeric or geometric code on at least two locations on each cartridge case expended from such pistol. Class D felony if you “willfully” deface microstamping component. The problems with this are many. First the technology is not practical (read: it doesn’t work) and as such this is akin to requiring firearms to shoot pixie dust, since it can’t it would make all guns illegal. Secondly, like most gun control measures, criminals who are using guns to commit felonies are just going to ignore this. Thirdly the cost of retrofitting all the guns in New York would unfairly fall on the citizen. Finally, even if the technology WAS viable, and criminals DID follow it, all they would have to do is use a revolver and make sure to destroy the shells later.
3. Fifty Caliber Ban – Bans the possession, sale or transfer of 50-Caliber or larger weapons. Permits grandfathering so long as they are then registered, a repeat of the Assault Weapson Ban from SAFE ACT 1.
4. Gun Dealer Insurance – Requires the imposition of restrictive business practices, recordkeeping and reporting for lawful gun dealers including requiring that every dealer carry insurance coverage against liability (at least $1 million per incident) for damage to property and for injury or death of any person resulting from the sale, delivery, lease, or transfer of a firearm, rifle or shotgun. On top of being a ridiculous punitive measure against firearm businesses, the costs will ultimately fall on the law abiding consumer.
5. Prohibits the sale or transfer in NY of guns that are not child proof – Prohibits the sale or transfer of a “child operated firearm” to another person. Defines “child operated firearm” as a pistol or revolver which does not contain a childproofing device, which would prevent an average five-year-old from operating it. This one is so amorphous that is shouldn’t even be considered law. No doubt gun controllers would use a 5 year old prodigy that could unravel the Gordian Knot.
6. 30 Day Limit on Gun Purchases – – Prohibits a person from purchasing more than one firearm from a dealer within a 30-day- period. Prohibits a dealer from selling or transferring a firearm to a person who has purchased or taken possession of a firearm within the previous 30 days. Requires dealers to request approval for sale from the Division of Criminal Justice Services. Class A misdemeanor. Why can’t I exercise my right as freely as I desire? This is like saying one can only pray on Sundays, or limiting the number of newspapers a person can read in a day. On top of the civil rights violations, the added logjam for businesses will slow commerce, raise prices and once again the law abiding consumer is left footing the bill.
7. 10 Day Waiting Period on Gun Purchases – Prohibits a person from taking possession of any firearm from a dealer unless 10 days have elapsed from the date the dealer initiated the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check of the purchaser and has received notice that the purchaser has passed all background checks required by federal, state and local law. Violators would be subject to class A misdemeanor. For victims of violent rape and murders who could have used a gun to stop their attacker, I doubt they appreciate the 10 days that cost them their lives. This notion of a “cooling off” period is more gun controller tripe used to engender fear in the populace that there is a run on gun shops by angry mobs looking to shoot someone down. It just isn’t true.
8.Ammunition Coding – Requires every manufacturer to code any ammunition for handguns and assault weapons. “Coded ammunition” means a bullet carrying a unique identifier that has been applied by etching onto the base of the bullet projectile. Most bullet makers aren’t going to make special New York bullets so the availability of ammuntion in the Empire State will decrease dramatically. But hey, that’s pretty much the goal gun controllers are aiming for.
9. Mandatory Insurance For Gun Owners – Require persons owning a firearm (not defined in the bill), prior to ownership or within 30 days of enactment for current owners, to obtain a liability insurance policy with a limit of at least $250,000. Failure to do so would result in the immediate revocation of the firearm owner’s registration, license and any other privilege to own a firearm. Just look at the wording, PRIVILEGE. That’s what gun controllers think that the right to keep and bear arms is…a privilege. It’s not. It’s a RIGHT. And there is no voter insurance, because if there was a lot of Obama voters would owe me money.
10. Reduces Pistol Permits from 5 years to 2 years – Requires that all pistol permit licenses expire every two years. Note, pistol permits in New York were LIFETIME before the first SAFE ACT. The Act made it 5 years and SAFE ACT 2 is looking to make it 2 years. This is a money making scheme aimed to cash in while stripping the rights of the citizens. A pro gun sheriff might retire and a gun control sheriff might take his place, in that case, when people pay the non refundable fee to renew their permit they can simply be told no. It gives the state more opportunity to deny rights to its citizens while still making a fast buck.
There are some other points, expanding on penalties of SAFE ACT 1 and broadening terms therein but this is the meat and potatoes of what a Cuomo reelection will look like for the citizens of New York. Apparently, SAFE Act 1 was only the prologue and SAFE Act 2 will be the further advancement of the radical gun control ideology that Gov Cuomo holds so dear.
To allow Gov. Cuomo to be reelected will be an injustice of the highest order. But it is not only an injustice to New Yorkers but for all gun owners and those who believe in liberty in America.
To quote the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. (he himself a victim of gun control like the SAFE Act when he was denied a carry permit):
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
It is for this reason that, even though I am a Pennsylvanian, I am taking a personal interest in supporting the man who has vowed to repeal the SAFE Act, not expand upon it.
Republican candidate for Governor, Rob Astorino:
Astorino also tapped Sheriff Chris Moss to be his running mate. Moss is the President of the New York Sheriff’s Association and has been fighting the SAFE Act since day one, going so far as filing an amicus brief in a federal challenge to the SAFE Act.
You can learn more about Astorino from his campaign website: robastorino.com
In this David vs Goliath story it is still a tough road to go since Cuomo’s war chest is being filled by the likes of Billionaire Michael Bloomberg, Shannon Watts, Sarah Brady and their gun control philistines as well as Cuomo raising substantial sums outside New York from Hollywood elitists. If you want to help combat the SAFE Act in all its iterations and keep it from spreading to other states you can do so by go going to:
and support candidate Astorino.
This may very well be the most important New York gubernatorial election in your lifetime…help make sure the right man is elected.